Monday, March 7, 2016

Top Ten Worship Hymns and Choruses?




I was talking yesterday after church with some friends and remembered one time I preached the week after Easter. How can any Preacher speak after the Easter worship?

We can do an Easter theme and ask a guy like Rob Reider to sing a special after I preach.

There are two ways to have a service or presentation strongly impact a group. With Recency and Intensity. An intense presentation by a fantastic preacher can have a terrific impact on the congregation. I can still remember sermons from decades ago that brought me insights and awareness of God's Word and the Holy Spirit.

Second, Recency. We often remember the last thing that touches us at a sermon and/or service. At CHPC we planned our services to have three stages:

Stage I. 20 Minutes Preparation for the Word
Stage II. 20 Minutes sermon/teaching (Sometime longer)
Stage III. 20 Minutes Worship Response to the Word of God.

So, we planned Stage I. of the Sunday after Easter to encourage the people to rest in the Lord and be ready to hear God's Word.

Stage II. I spoke about the Resurrection and Post Resurrection of Jesus in our lives.

Stage III. Rob Reider sang He's Alive by Don Francisco.

He's alive, He's alive, He's alive
and I'm forgiven,
Heaven's gates are open wide!
He's alive, He's alive, He's ALIVE!

The entire congregation stood and sang with Rob! It was amazing. It had both Recency and Intensity! 

Can any of you remember a good worship service and music? Does one come to mind? Have you ever worshipped? When? 

How about the Vineyard Music?

How about Rise Again by Dallas Holm?

Or, classic hymns or Second Chapter of Acts?

Or Gospel tunes or Black Gospel?

Send in your nominations.

Gary Sweeten

No comments: