It is not helpful to use the term "Mental Illness" for everyone that has emotional distress, a disability, or interpersonal challenge. I developed a simple, one page chart to help Ministers and Lay Helpers assess the level of need of a person in distress.
Clinical Therapists use a book with 900 pages and many, many categories of distress to diagnose and treat people. Ministers and Lay Helpers can help support everyone in distress even if they are also in need of Clinical expertise.
Type A Persons:
About 70% of a church with no life-interrupting problems.
Level I Very mature and healthy individuals -10%
• Able to lead if equipped
• Strong in relationships and fruit of the Spirit
• Stable and deal with life’s problems
• Full range of emotional life
• Not blown about by every new thing Need: Discovery of mission, gifts, call
Level II Can vary in healthy lifestyles from weak to developing-60%
• Some are fragile but dealing with life • Need to be discipled so Challenge to grow
Type B Persons: Some 30% with differing types and intensity of problems
Level III Ongoing issues and problems that cause disruptions-15%
• Drinking too much • Worried or anxious, sad, angry and dissatisfied with life or spiritual conflicts
• Is strong enough to work and learn from counsel
• No harmful thoughts about self or others Need: Pastoral or lay care and counsel, support group
Level IV Ongoing problems and pain-10%
• Cannot meet personal, work, family or church responsibilities and cannot change
• Misses work due to depression, anxiety, stress, etc
• Compulsive behaviors with sex, drugs, food, gambling, anger, etc.
• Unresolved family conflicts Need: Professional Counseling and church support
Level V Acute Pain-5%
• Lay and Professional counseling have failed to help and the pain increases
• Ideas are distorted, cannot manage life, may think about harming self or others
• Dangerous use of drugs Need: Intensive care in a safe place
Want to know how to support anyone in any category? Want to know how to love and care? See our web with free videos and eBooks.