Friday, June 10, 2016

Old Wounds Must be Healed!



You may wonder why I have been posting about phantom limb pain. Hang on why I tell you.

Most of the people in psychological/emotional pain suffer from Phantom Oppressors! The pain is still present in their minds but the oppressor is long gone, even dead.

Years ago when my mom was in the hospital, I drove back to Illinois to visit her. While waiting for the surgery to end, my aunt and I chatted about our family tree.

I said, "Aunt Lena, why are you such a strong Republican and my dad your your dad were such strong Democrats"?

Her face instantly became red, her eyes blazed and the veins in her neck stuck out. She said between clenched teeth, "No SOB Democrat is going to tell me how to vote"!

I was stunned at her intense reaction and said, "Who is trying to make you vote Democrat"?

"MY dad!" she practically shouted.

Her father had been dead for over 50 years yet he was still oppressing her every day. How can that be? He was a phantom from the past, yet he was still yelling at her at age 75.

Most of the people I have worked with over the years are still reacting to events in their past to oppressors long dead. Despite the fact that the "limb" beating her is buried it needs to be straightened out.

How can we do that?



No comments: