Friday, February 28, 2014

Growing with A Self-Test




I am speaking Saturday and Sunday at the Southbrook Christian Church in Miamisburg. The topic is the fourth message in a series called Sex and the End of the World. We call it Life in a Warped World. 

We will focus on healing from shock, trauma, abuse, pain, and unwanted behavior that came as a result. First, we want to make sure we offer people HOPE! We want people to realize that God has a plan for us despite the habits and difficulties we find so hard to change. See my book, Breaking Free to be all God wants me to Be. It is on sale for only $3.99 right now so go online and order it.

People of this era are not the first to face pain and difficult behavior. The Bible is full of stories that tell how God used people with deep issues of emotional pain and addictive behavior who experienced healing with God's grace. In fact, one of the world's greatest leaders of healing and change was John Wesley.  Wesley was a genius in healing and growth. His James 5 Groups followed the practice of asking these questions of each other. A SELF-EXAMINATION TEST of The Holy Club of Oxford: The questions they asked themselves each day were:

1. Am I consciously or unconsciously creating the impression that I am better than I really am? In other words, am I a hypocrite?
2. Am I honest in all my acts and words, or do I exaggerate?
3. Do I confidentially pass on to another what was told to me in confidence?
4. Am I a slave to dress, friends, work or habits?
5. Can I be trusted?
6. Am I self-conscious, self-pitying, or self-justifying?
7. Did the Bible live in me today?
8. Do I give it time to speak to me every day?
9. Am I enjoying prayer?
10. When did I last speak to someone else of my faith?
11. Do I pray about the money I spend?
12. Do I get to bed on time and get up on time?
13. Do I disobey God in anything?
14. Do I insist upon doing something about which my conscience is uneasy?
15. Am I defeated in any part of my life?
16. Am I jealous, impure, critical, irritable, touchy or distrustful?
17. How do I spend my spare time?
18. Am I proud?
19. Do I thank God that I am not as other people, especially as the Pharisee who despised the publican?
20. Is there anyone whom I fear, dislike, disown, criticize, hold a resentment toward or disregard? If so, what am I doing about it?
21. Do I grumble or complain constantly?
22. Is Christ real to Me?

Copyright 1992, 1997, 2000 by Wycliffe Bible Translators International and Laura Mae Gardner, D. Min. Permission granted to copy for non-profit use.

No comments: