Tuesday, March 4, 2014

My Peace I Give You (For Lent)



Rest in Jesus

Why are so many Christians living in fear, anxiety, sadness and despair?Perhaps because they have never learned to rest in Christ. In John the Lord Jesus stated to His followers that they were powerless to perform unless they stayed deeply involved in His life. "I am the vine and you are the branches." That seems pretty clear but I keep hearing people say they have "failed to perform" but rarely do they say, "I am abiding in the vine so much I don't have time to perform". Instead they say, "I am doing so much I don't have time to abide."

Karen and I decided at dinner that the greatest threat to Christian leaders is a compulsive need to perform, do, act, produce, make things happen, force people to change, be holy, etc.

The Original Serenity Prayer

Rev Reinhold Niebuhr

God, grant me the serenity to accept
The things I cannot change
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference

Living one day at a time,
Enjoying one moment at a time:

Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace:
Taking, as Jesus did,
This sinful world as it is,
Not as I would have it:

Trusting that you will make all things right
If I surrender to your will:
So that I may be reasonably happy in this life
And supremely happy with you in the next

Ways to apply this prayer? Power Christian Thinking eBook found in our store.
All our eBooks are in PDF form that can be read on a computer and/or downloaded and printed out. This book is on sale for $3.99 


No comments: