Sunday, March 16, 2014

How to Be Miserable on our Own



I developed the APART acrostic to summarize the research about how to be miserable. Much of the research has been reported by Martin Seligman. Look him up and read his book, Flourish.

A review of the APART acrostic:

ADVERSITY: Anything I dislike
PESSIMISM: Negative Thinking about my life
ANGRY or AGGRAVATED: My emotional Reaction
RUMINATE: I focus over and over on the Adverse events
TOTALLY TEARS ME APART: Traumatizes Self

We are at PESSIMISM. Some people meet life and adversity with a Positive Attitude while others see life as personally degrading. The one who really end up in despair tend to beat themselves up with the following ways.

Perfection is Possible: I should be able to control myself and the people and events around me. This is not conscious but an underlying assumption about life. When imperfect adverse events occur I have failed!

Problems are Me! I draw problems to me. I am flawed and maybe cursed. I am just like my Dad and cannot change. I am doomed!

Problems are Pervasive in my life from beginning to end I am caught up in Problems.

Permanent Problems with Pervasive Power haunt me day and night. There is not way out of these problems.

These ideas, beliefs, perceptions and thoughts keep me in deep PESSIMISM!

When we had a Christ-centered in-patient program I enjoyed teaching the residents about these processes. I tended to ask each one a couple of questions each day.

"Good morning ______. How is the Lord treating you today?"

The answer was usually something like, "God is good! He is treating me very well." 

Then I asked, "Are you treating yourself as well as God is?"

Many times the person would react with a shocked look and mutter, 
 "Oh, I can't do that. It would be selfish!"

If you enjoy Pessimism, I certainly will not try to get you to change. It is your right to be miserable.  But, if its peace and God's blessings you want, get my eBook online.

 www.sweetenlife.com/store. Power Christian Thinking  Take His power

Take His peace. 

No comments: