Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Worship at Christmas



I have a difficult time worshiping anytime but especially at Christmas.  Worship, according to the Bible, needs to be "In Spirit and in truth" and that is not easy. My brain is the problem.

My brain is filled with thoughts, ideas and feelings that intrude into my consciousness at all time of the day and night.  Some believers scoff at the idea that we have a subconscious or unconscious part of our brain. I suppose they have never had a nightmare or dream where a difficult problem was solved during the night.

That restless, ever moving part of my brain that keeps spinning and pushing its unwanted ideas on me interrupts my desire to rest in Christ and cast all of my cares on Him in worship.  I call it a problem with ANTS!

Automatic Negative Thoughts (ANTS) intrude on my intention to "Be still and know that God is God!"  During the Christmas season I want to worship God but I keep being interrupted with strains of Jingle Bells and Have a Holly, Jolly Christmas! YIKES!

Then I attend church and want to sing carols at the top of my lungs. I want to sing "Oh Come Let Us Adore Him"! The band is blasting out some song from AC/DC. I am overwhelmed by the noise and no one is singing at all.

My brain goes crazy!



Who can deliver me from this overwhelming press of music that blocks my worship and leads me to the throne of grace? I can do it at home and avoid the distractions of bad music.

How about you?

What child is this who, laid to rest
On Mary's lap is sleeping?
Whom Angels greet with anthems sweet,
While shepherds watch are keeping?


This, this is Christ the King,
Whom shepherds guard and Angels sing;
Haste, haste, to bring Him laud,
The Babe, the Son of Mary.




No comments: