Saturday, October 12, 2013

How I Learned to Become a Parent Way too Late

Posted by a Pastor friend of whom I have enormous respect.



As our children pursued an education, they would sometimes ask our help with an assignment -- two of the worst of which involved our being asked to write something about how we did parenting.

The first time I did this was in 2006, but the most devastating was in 2011, when one of our children was taking a grad school course in Family Systems and did formal, recorded interviews with each member of the family individually. I actually wept when I read some parts of those transcriptions and felt compelled to go and ask forgiveness for some of insensitive things I had said and done as a parent.

Maybe what I wrote for the 2006 interview will prove beneficial to somebody. If it does, that's more important than my personal embarrassment. Here goes, only slightly edited:

Honestly attempting to reflect on how I did parenting brings me some pain and no small sense of failure. I took a lot of psychology in college and determined that I would raise my children somewhat differently than I had been raised. My father was born in 1906, had a quick temper and would not tolerate disrespect, but I always knew that my father loved me and would do everything that he could to see that I had what I needed. My mother was born in 1913 and was a gifted teacher. She taught obstetrical nursing at Vanderbilt and was later a nursing administrator, but she spent the last decades of her career teaching first graders. Her career moves were based on her commitment to be home when her children were home. Looking back, I have to say that my parents were outstanding. They were both nurturing and affirming. They showed affection by hugging us and by telling us that they loved us. They disciplined within an overall context of freedom, seeking to instill optimism and self-confidence in both my brother and me. So my desire to raise my children differently was the fruit of perfectionistic determinism: they did well; I can do better. I was a fool to believe that.

Early on in my college career, I decided to prepare to become a pastor. In my theological tradition this requires a minimum of seven years, four in college and three in seminary. Our first two children came before I completed my post graduate education and three more were born after I became a full-time pastor. Perhaps more than any other profession, the ministry requires not only a measure of professional competence but a high level of "success" in personal living, including "success" in one's marriage and with one's children. 
 
The pressures can be enormous. Looking back, I find it bewildering that parishioners look to pastors who may not yet be even thirty years old for counsel on how to deal with lots of personal matters. Of course, hopefully, a pastor is not basing his counsel simply on personal experience; as with a thirty year-old physician, he relies on his professional training and the authoritative sources he has studied.

I was pretty much a determinist in the early years of parenting. My experiences reinforced my studies, and I had lots of experiences, given the many years I spent in school and the corresponding number of summer jobs I held -- it took me longer than seven years to complete my education.

One of the most interesting jobs I held was at an adventure park that had a trained animal exhibit. I got to know one of the animal trainers during breaks. He told me about how they trained the dolphins:

"You don't think that they do what they do simply for the fish we throw to them, do you? When they don't do their tricks, we jump into the pool and beat the ____ out of them with baseball bats. Positive and negative reinforcement, the carrot and the stick, that's what it takes."

I brought that perspective into my parenting -- not that I ever took a baseball bat to anyone, but I approached parenting with a deterministic understanding: if I would consistently use positive and negative reinforcement, I thought I could produce the kind of children everybody would approve of. I brought my father's intolerance for disrespect and a measure of his hot temper, too. But I did parenting with the knowledge that I lived in a glass house: the "manse" was owned by the congregation, and I had a deep awareness that my family was "owned," as well. I saw this approach as phenomenally successful as long as my children were prepubescent, but when they began to develop some independence, I became frightened and frustrated. All this was compounded by (my wife's injuries from a wreck) in a coma and spending months as an invalid. Also, my once brilliant mother, now with senile dementia, lived with us.

When the leadership of the church heard stories from gossipy people, I knew that my ability to provide for my family was on the line. I knew that an undergraduate degree in philosophy and a seminary degree qualified me for only one career, and that career was now in jeopardy because of how I was dealing with American adolescence. I once remember saying in frustration: "If you keep acting like this, you're going to make me lose my job." That's a terrible thing to say to a child, in part at least, because it gives that child a sense of destructive power. 
 

No comments: