Friday, October 18, 2013

2. Most Destructive Christian Sins and Sinners



While listening to 700 WLW this morning I heard an anxious mom call in with a question. I will summarize it.

Mom: "Hello Scott, I heard the interview of the man discussing drug use. I have a son in high school and I am worried about him taking heroin. Can you tell me how to tell if he is on heroin?"

Scott Sloan:"Do you want to know the signs of heroin use?"

Mom: "Yes. I hear so many people discussing drugs and wonder what I can do."

Scott: "Do you have any indication that he is using drugs at all?"

Mom: "No, none at all.But I don't want to be one of those lazy mothers that is in denial so how can I tell if he is using heroin because that is what everybody is talking about."

Scott: "Heroin is not usually the first drug a user starts with. You need to look for other signs like doing poorly in school, anger, withdrawal from family and friends, etc. But heroin is not the number one drug of choice for kids."

Heroin is not the worst drug in America but the drug that gets a lot of press. The sins that tend to get a lot of press and even hysteria are not the root of the problem but the fruit of a long term pattern of missing mark that starts small and grows in strength and frequency.

I had a hard time learning to smoke but I overcame the sickness, coughing and bad taste to finally was able to adopt a full blown addiction. After some time I discovered that it was hard to stop smoking. However, the root problem was not sucking on nicotine but a desperate need to be cool so I could be accepted.

As Luke 6:39-44 says, "It's out of the roots that come the fruits."

One friend offered his take on the worst sins. PRIDE. What think ye about pride? Are you too PROUD to risk a comment?? (YUK! YUK!) 

How does pride show itself? Arrogance, argumentative, puffed up, demanding, refuses to give in, bullies. I agree it is bad but it gets few headlines now days. Why?

An exercise for you, dear readers.

Interested in discovering the roots? Take a look at Breaking Free a book on how to "Lay the axe to the roots!"


1 comment:

Rich Reder said...

For me personally, it's not the big no-no's but rather the bad habits of laziness, procrastination, and rationalization.