Saturday, July 21, 2012

Violence and Public Safety

Another mass killing and another movement to ban guns. I do not own a gun nor can I imagine shooting an animal let alone a person. However, from a psychological point of view, an armed public is probably safer than an unarmed public. When I was a Resident Counselor at The University of Cincinnati during the riots and acts of terror by the anti-war radicals, I carried a gun during my nightly rounds to check the safety of the building. Every nigh before I went tobed I walked through every floor to see if everything was in order. We received reports about bomb plots almost daily from the FBI who had infiltrated the Weather Underground, The Black Panthers and the Students for a Democratic Society. Those groups were threatening violence against us all the time. One night i discovered that someone had turned off all the fire alarms in our building! After that I bought a gun and carried it on my rounds. Would I have used it against a violent mad man trying to kill my students?

2 comments:

linn starr said...

No cartoons for me on Saturday morning, as an Annie Oakley wannabe, I chose Roy Rogers, and my all-time favorite, The Lone Ranger. On Saturday nights my grandmother and I would take turns - she preferred The Lawrence Welk Show, and for me, Gunsmoke. Evening TV consisted of The Rifle Man, Have Gun Will Travel, Wagon Train, Rawhide, and Bonanza.
My cap guns secure in my holsters strapped on at the waist, I was always ready for the bad guy. One difference in those days is the clear difference between the good guy and the bad guy. Another huge difference is our public school began not only with the pledge of allegiance, but also with a scripture reading and prayer.

Gary Sweeten said...

Great post, Linn. the lines are definitely blurred today. I read an article in the Wall Street Journal about the way Norway is treating the mass killer there. It is almost as though they want to remove any sense of guilt and shame from the news and court and the prison system. What happened in Norway and in Colorado were evil. It was not only psychological illness but evil that destroyed those lives.