Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Christian Churches Can be Healing Communities




In a 1969 seminar for Counselors, Psychologists, and Social Workers I met a famous Psychologist. He said that early church groups were the most powerful therapeutic communities that the world had ever seen. He was an agnostic! He went on to tell how 2000 years ago life was mean, drunken, adulterers,  and violent. However, when people became Christians they entered groups of people  that helped them develop emotionally, relationally and spiritually. Most became peaceful and loving.

 I had a Master's and was working on a Doctorate in Counseling and had never heard anyone say was shocked and overcome with conviction by the Holy Spirit to find out how they did it. I was dedicated to DO IT AGAIN!

discovered when I set out to investigate how the early church in its house group structure managed to impact believers so powerfully.
1. They believed and practiced the presence of the Holy Spirit.

2. That had daily fellowship, study, prayers, and worship.

3. They preached and taught about confession and forgiveness. Each new member was taken through a series of examinations, open confessions before the church, and open forgiveness. 

4. They anointed people with oil and prayed for healing.

5. They practiced helping each other in sickness and work.

6. They rescued unwanted babies that were left outside to die. 

7. They lived near each other and were together often in small groups.


Psalm 32 
1 Blessed is the one
   whose transgressions are forgiven,
  whose sins are covered.
2 Blessed is the one
   whose sin the LORD does not count against them
   and in whose spirit is no deceit.
 3 When I kept silent,
   my bones wasted away
   through my groaning all day long.
4 For day and night
   your hand was heavy on me;
my strength was sapped
   as in the heat of summer.
 5 Then I acknowledged my sin to you
   and did not cover up my iniquity.
I said, “I will confess
   my transgressions to the LORD.”
And you forgave
   the guilt of my sin.
 6 Therefore let all the faithful pray to you
   while you may be found;
surely the rising of the mighty waters
   will not reach them.
7 You are my hiding place;
   you will protect me from trouble
   and surround me with songs of deliverance.
 8 I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go;
   I will counsel you with my loving eye on you.
9 Do not be like the horse or the mule,
   which have no understanding
but must be controlled by
bit and bridle
   or they will not come to you.

10 Many are the woes of the wicked,
   but the LORD’s unfailing love
   surrounds the one who trusts in him.

11 Rejoice in the LORD and be glad, you righteous;
             sing, all you who are upright in heart! 



No comments: