Saturday, May 17, 2014

Support Our Work in Russia

Group work is essential!


Over 20 years ago we felt the Lord nudge us to go to Russia. It was under the control of the USSR then so I was sure we would not be allowed to set up a ministry there. But in 1989 Perestroika came and we decided to fly from Norway to Moscow to visit a person I met at a Christian conference in the USA. She took me to meet her friends at a meeting of a group trying to form a "Christian School of Psychology". It was a meeting that God orchestrated.

Out of 200 million Russians, I met the one person I could work with to advance God's love in the former USSR. This person had the training and personality needed. They had started  a school to teach Christian Counselors because they saw the destruction around them.

I liked that but I knew that academic psychology was not the answer. I wanted to equip believers to promote growth and healing in a society ruined by Atheism. I had seen the power of Ephesians 4 when care and counsel is not only taught in theory but practice to ordinary lay people. It takes a unique person to lead such an endeavor, and God provided that person.

The Requirements

1. Well educated in basic psychology but teachable and open to integrate the Bible and counseling
2. An innovator with great flexibility.
3. A deeply committed Christian who does not reject psychology
4. Honest and trustworthy
5. Able to teach others
6. A strong will
7. Not power hungry
8. Speaks English well
9. Is tough, assertive and frank instead of passive and dependent on rich American churches.

I met such a person. Like General a Booth, founder of the Salvation Army, the best man for the job was a woman.

Thank God for such a find. Thousands are being redeemed as a result. You can find out more at the Sweeten Life web.



No comments: