Monday, January 27, 2014

How To Effectively Lead Small Groups 1.




My time with the great people at Cuyahoga Valley Church was encouraging. They are, I believe, on the right track to build their people up in small groups. Small groups in churches can be very positive places for the members. When I began to consult with the Cell Movement in Asia they had a slogan that went something like this:

Small Groups are Powerful

I agree wholeheartedly with that assumption and slogan. After meeting with the leaders and getting better acquainted with them I made a suggestion that they alter that slogan just a small bit to say:

Small Groups are Powerfully Good or Powerfully Bad! 

One of my majors in college was "Small Group Dynamics". I had many hours of both theory and practice. In both I discovered that group life is like family life in that both have a more powerful impact than one person. As scripture says, "Death or life are in the power of the tongue". Group dynamics expand and magnify the power of the tongue. So, group relationships are destructive when dysfunctional. This is why training in great relationships is essential.

If you have not been trained in the most basic Life Giving Skills,  get trained soon or you will do more harm than good. Making Disciples is more complicated than making Friends on Facebook!

You can start by getting a PDF of Hope and Change for Humpty Dumpty.







No comments: