Sunday, November 3, 2013

Churches with a Mission



Have you ever known a church with a God-inspired Mission? One that the leaders received from the Lord and cast for the congregation? It might have been radical, different, controversial and new but if molded and moved the congregation to do great things for God?

Frankly I have coached a lot of Pastors, Elders and Deacons whose mission is to keep the doors open for the next Sunday. One Pastor said to me:

"If I did what you are saying I would be fired! My Deacons will not let me move the church forward. They want it to be like if was in 1955. I just want to survive long enough for my kids to graduate from college. I need the salary so I can't rock the boat."

Of all the organizations to do that the church is the worst. If you are in survival mode, just lie there with no dreams and let the enemy win. You have my permission. But if you want to build a powerhouse of God for God, read on.

1. Seek God. Pray and do it. Ask God to remind you what thrills you. Why did you enter the Ministry? Excitement about God's love. Enthralled with God's power. Enamored with God's healing? Blessed by a mentor that discipled you and loved you?

2. Forget what Rick Warren and Bill Hybels did. Do your thing.

3. Forget what your Seminary Profs said. Their advice is poison!

4. Talk with your wife and old friends. Remember what turned you on to Jesus before religion turned you off. Pray with some wise men who have been through the storms. Tell the Elders you are seeking God's Mission and Vision. Do not ask them for your vision but ask them for their vision.

5. Study the speech by Martin Luther King, Jr., "I Have a Dream" and almost anything by Winston Churchill.

6. Take a retreat in the mountains and walk among nature until God speaks to you.

7. Find a spiritual coach and pray about God's call. 



No comments: