Sunday, February 24, 2013

Generational Blessings




Many of us have had a picture taken of the family with a new car or a new boat. But my Great Grand Father and Grand Mother were proud of the Mule they had back at the turn of the Century. My Grand Mother, Nancy Dempsey Taylor, their daughter, was born in 1894. She is a teenager in the photo so it must be around 1910.

Pa Dempsey was converted as an adult and had a call to minister. In 1894 he and about 20 others went to a revival meeting and were revived by the Holy Spirit with a Second Blessing. They returned to visit their preacher at the Union Missionary Baptist Church to exhort him to preach the revival doctrine and were given the "Left Foot of Fellowship".

After being asked to leave they went down the road to buy a piece of land and built a beautiful white clapboard building and a cemetery across the road. (I have the records.) I am returning "home" in March to be with my friends in that church as they celebrate a new construction project.

I dedicated one of my latest books How to be Me in My Family Tree to the people in that photo.Nancy Dempsey's photo is below.





No comments: