Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Spiritual Giants Must also Repent

Isaac Newton was one of the most brilliant scientists in history. He was also a committed Christian. However, young Isaac, like the rest of us, had trouble with his heart. It was filled with sins of rebellion, anger, vengeance and bitterness. The list below shows his condition before God at age 19. I would have loved to see what he wrote at age 50 or 60.

Old Isaac Newton’s List of Sins by Maria Popova

BEFORE WHITSUNDAY 1662

Using the word (God) openly

Eating an apple at Thy house

Making a feather while on Thy day

Denying that I made it

Making a mousetrap on Thy day

Contriving of the chimes on Thy day

Squirting water on Thy day

Making pies on Sunday night

Swimming in a kimnel on Thy day

Putting a pin in Iohn Keys hat on Thy day to pick him

Carelessly hearing and committing many sermons

Refusing to go to the close at my mothers command

Threatning my father and mother Smith to burne them and the house over them

Wishing death and hoping it to some

Striking many

Having uncleane thoughts words and actions and dreamese

Stealing cherry cobs from Eduard Storer

Denying that I did so

Denying a crossbow to my mother and grandmother though I knew of it

Setting my heart on money learning pleasure more than Thee

A relapse

A relapse

I love the last two items!

Gary Sweeten

No comments: