Tuesday, September 24, 2013

A Prayer Poem for Getting Old






Lord, teach me to grow old with greater joy every day.
Protect me from aging with bitterness and remorse.
Give me the grace to seek for others before myself.
Help me to learn even more the joy of being last.
Lord, teach me to grow old with fewer enemies and more friends.
Show me how to put aside petty differences.
Open my eyes to where I’m wrong and others are right.
Allow me to make peace with as many as I can.
Lord, teach me to grow old with more of Your wisdom.
Convict me to spend more time with You and Your Word.
Remind me to seek You with a passion unlike any I’ve had.
Teach me even more how to rest in You and You alone.
Lord, teach me to grow old with a greater love for my family.
Show me that can I still be a better husband.
Teach me that I can still be a dad to grown sons.
And let me the wallow in the pure joy of grandchildren.
Lord, teach me to grow old and listen more carefully.
Let me learn how to hear the hopes, hurts, and dreams of others.
Teach me to go slower that I might notice those hurting around me.
And in my slower pace, show me how to help and give to those in pain and need.
Lord, teach me to grow old recognizing even more the brevity of life.
Help me not to hold on to the things of this world.
Give me the insight and strength not to fear dying and death.
And give me clarity and hope about soon seeing You face to face.
And in adding all of these things Lord, I pray that I will be able to say:
“I have not lived my life in vain.”
Even when I am old and gray God, do not abandon me. Then I will proclaim Your power to another generation, Your strength to all who are to come. (Psalm 71:18, HCSB) From the blog of Thom Ranier 

My friend Donna Thomas has written a new book for those who have lost a loved one. The title is Hope for Today and Tomorrow. You can get it from her at: 

2460 Glebe St. Apt. 216,   
Carmel, IN 46032

Her web page       


No comments: