Wednesday, May 15, 2013

The Full Armor of God and Spiritual Growth Stages #1.

This is a chart I had Lois Dunn draw many years ago. I have used it to teach on the importance of understanding the various stages Christian growth. I am an educator that was an elementary school teacher and coach for five years before getting a Master's Degree in Higher Education. I later became a Christian Educator that was responsible for Discipleship and Equipping Christians at a large church. Everyone gets fed the same food.

Note that the chart shows individuals of all spiritual levels.

All People of the World who are not spiritually alive. They are dead and cannot understand or receive spiritual things. They have not been "Born again from the Spirit" as noted in John 3 and know nothing of godly things. As I Corinthians 2:12-13 states that "We have received not the spirit of man but the Spirit who is from God that we might know the things freely given to us by God".

Babes or Beginners in Christ.  These are brand new Believers and like every baby they need Milk of the Spirit. I Corinthians 3:1 But I, brethren, could not address you as spiritual men, but as men of the flesh, as babes in Christ. I fed you with milk, not solid food; for you were not ready for it; and even yet you are not ready, for you are still of the flesh.

There is nothing wrong with being a baby that needs milky teachings and preachings. It is a required way to train a young Christian. However, it is rare for any church to even acknowledge that some people need milk while others need meat. 

In every situation when children were involved we planned our materials, our teaching strategies and our structure to fit the developmental stages of the child. We had easy, simple, digestible teaching for Babes. However, I never read a book, knew of a church or spoke with a Pastor, Equipping Minister or Discipleship Guru that even thought the same thing was needed for adults.  (If you know of one, send its name to me.)

Everywhere I went I saw churches and teachers who put everyone into the same groups as though they were able to receive their lesson, sermon or ideas equally well. The chart above shows clearly that there are people of all spiritual levels and stages in the church. 

This is enough for today. Think these ideas over and challenge me or write some blog comments  to agree. I will not sic the IRS on you if you disagree with me. I love a good debate.If you want to see materials developed to teach different people go to our web and bookstore.

Gary Sweeten

2 comments:

Trisha Wales said...

I can't agree with you more! In a world of increasingly un-churched, non believers we must adopt the same approach as we do with children. The concept of teaching a foreign language to adult students in this way has had major success in such places as Israel(Hebrew) and here in Wales where that course was followed Welsh was taught with great success. I am sure that God wants us to use such educational concepts that He has given to the world.

Gary Sweeten said...

It is a shame that so many Bible believing Christians fear education. I trust God more than I fear secular humanism.