Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Where are You Spiritually

Joni-A Real Leader


There are tons of books written today about leadership. Some of them are like long sermons and focus on Inspiring us to "Get ready, Get going and get busy! and do it with verve, excitement and creativity. I have been involved in education, training and mentoring for many years and there are some people who will never, ever be that kind of leader.

Other books lay out complicated theories and ideas about being a leader. After I read two or three chapters I have already forgotten what was in them so I must not be a leader.

Some authors love to write tomes with 100 or so proven leadership principles. They fill the books with stories about how to think like Steve Jobs or how to manage like Bill gates. They don't seem to realize that these men are not the run of the mill guys who read a book on The 100 Laws of Leaders and suddenly invented Apple iPads.

In my coaching Elders and Pastors I am often asked about how to find a real leader or two to be on the Board. Here are some of my thoughts.

1. Ask yourself this question: "What kind of leadership do we need and want from this person? Do I need a good talker who can speak in up front meetings and persuade the members to give more money? Do I want a person who will give us a lot of money? Do I want an Entrepreneur who can help us think outside the box? Do I want a person who is legalistic, hard nosed and quibbles over every detail in the church building and program? Do I want a gracious person who is loving, supportive and generous to those who fail?

2. Look at the human track record of the potential candidates. How do they operate at home and work? do they have a good reputation in the community? Are they hard to get along with or easy to be with? Do they have a sense of humor or are they sour?

3. Look at their religious/spiritual track record. Are they FAITHFUL

Faith in God's love and grace
Actively living in the Spirit
Involved with important things
Teachable and trained in leadership/ministry skills
Humble and easy to debate on important matters
Free from debilitating habits and emotional issues
Unencumbered by past hurts and bitterness
Loving toward the family of God and family at home and spends time with each

What think ye about these ideas? Will they work?

Write your comments and let me know.

Gary Sweeten

No comments: