Monday, November 21, 2011

Discipleship Requires Clear Directions


When I coached basketball I had to develop a set of drills that would teach my players everything they needed to know and do while in the game. The rules did not allow me to get into the game myself. I had to try to train the players so they were prepared for whatever happened on the court.

Christianity is not lived in the church buildings. It is lived and played on the courts of life in family, work, recreation, etc. This means that we must Disciple Christians how to live in practical ways in life. I do not mean just do religious things like read the scripture, pray and talk religion. I mean actively live out the way of the Gospel when parenting.

For example, a man or woman cannot be a good parent without honoring one's own parents. If I am angry with my parents or cut off from them it will cause a rift in the emotional and spiritual environment at my home. It will cause me to overreact toward my own kids and possibly my wife. I will either overreact by being too harsh or too soft.

If my dad was too soft and I develop an attitude of disrespect toward him, I may be too hard toward my own son. Discovering those bitter root judgments and getting them confessed and changed requires a patient mentor/disciple maker.

Pastor, you cannot disciple from a pulpit. You must get with your players at the side of the court on which they play and coach them in the midst of their crises. You will need sometimes to call a time out and coach a man or woman how to bring healing to a relationship or how to confront sin in the house. That cannot happen if you are shouting from the stands or limiting your interaction to the pep rally.

1 comment:

Gary Sweeten said...

I will add that far too many Christians, especially, confuse the pep rally with the game. When I read reports of the increase in huge churches with massive presentations and shallow teachings I am dismayed. A pep rally does little more than excite the spectators and make the players think they can win the battles without talent or skills.