Friday, May 13, 2011

Mentoring and Coaching



Everyone Needs a Life Coach-Even Tiger

As a basketball coach I learned a lot about the importance of helping the "team" members learn how to implement what the coach was saying. Unfortunately, many people who are trying to be Life Coaches or Mentors do not know how to get their Clients to practice the actual skills of "The Game of Life".

I am especially struck by so many of the articles I read on "Leadership" because they consist mainly of a list of "Rules for Leader Success" and fail to get to the the specifics of practice. Several years ago a famous author put out a book on "The 24 Immutable Laws of Leadership". Unfortunately, all of them were only theories and stories about great leaders. This approach can be inspirational but rarely provide the skills needed to implement the theory.

I am a golfer so I read stories written by Tiger and Phil about how I can become as good as they in two weeks! But, without a coach watching me and giving me feedback on my swing these stories do not help much. And, no matter what I do there is no "Tiger in my tank!"

Here is my question for you: "What was a skill did you actually learn from a life coach?"

And, "How did the coach manage to teach you that skill?"

And, "Did you have to practice for some time or learn it instantly?"

No comments: