Saturday, February 25, 2012

Growth and Healing as Basic Church Functions


As you looked at this heading you may have questions. Growth and Healing are rarely a focus in sermons, web pages, blogs and books. I look for those kinds of articles and books because I want to sharpen my knowledge and skills. Unfortunately, I am usually frustrated by a lack of success.

Not long ago I was reading a blog by a wonderfully insightful Pastor/Missionary and saw that he had a list of "Important Books" on the blog. I know his ministry believes in and prays for healing so I though, "Great, I can find some good materials here. I was disappointed and sad because he reaches thousands of believer and leaders so he could be a great resource for them.

In my frustration I wrote a comment on his blog asking for him to add some good resources for education, training, pastoral care, soul care, inner healing, discipleship and so forth. He wrote back that he knew none and asked me to send him the titles of a few good books.

It hit me hard that there must be only a few people who are writing on these topics because they are not seen as important in the church. When I mention this issue I am focusing more on the positives of Christian growth than healing. I believe it is important for churches to sponsor classes, personal discipleship, materials, sermons and guest speakers on the topics of Prevention, Personal Growth, Peer Support and Ministry first and foremost. Healing can follow later but can only be carried out in a congregation with a high percentage of Mature Christians.

So far I have not taken up his request but I may now that I am writing about Growth and Healing in regards to Soul Care. We are upgrading our Sweeten Life web site so it is time to list the books I think are valuable in this regard. Randy Clark, who has a very powerful international healing ministry, asked me to write four eight week classes on Inner Healing or Soul Care. The first two are finished and stated with Level I. Courses in January. You can go to his web page and sign up.

The books and materials for my courses as well as those for general interest are also on sale in the online Sweeten Life book store. In the future we will focus on e books and e materials exclusively. They are less expensive than paper and available to download world wide. I recently updated my Monograph on the theology of healing and growth called, "The Healing Release of the Holy Spirit". It is available for $5.00 at Sweeten Life. It will challenge you to the core of your understanding of basic theology of sin, sanctification and psychopathology as well as how to reconcile Calvin with Wesley, Roman Catholics and Robert Schuller. You will also learn why Justification is not enough for salvation.

If you have any books or papers you think are good for teaching about Christian Growth send the name to me and I will check it out.

No comments: