Saturday, December 24, 2011

Incarnation is For Me

How would I make it through life without the Holy Spirit dwelling inside of me? I don't do so very well with the Holy Spirit so I do not like to think how awful I could be without the guidance and love of God actually permeating my body and soul.

Young people and adults with certain kinds of personalities tend to see the world in specifics. so, when they hear that "Jesus is in their heart" an image springs to life in the mind of a tiny Jesus sitting down in the living room of the heart to chat with God or read the Bible. Some might even look down their shirt to try to find Jesus peeking out at them.

Before the Day of Pentecost came with its powerful manifestation of God in the lives of several thousand new believers there was rarely ever any outward sign of God's presence with people. A few very special people like Abraham, Moses, David and Elijah had the Spirit with them but not in them. When the Spirit came upon one of the famous people in the Bible he or she did something remarkable and even miraculous. However, the promise was given by God that some day every believer would have the Holy Spirit.

Joel 2: 25 “I will repay you for the years the locusts have eaten—
the great locust and the young locust,
the other locusts and the locust swarm—
my great army that I sent among you.
26 You will have plenty to eat, until you are full,
and you will praise the name of the LORD your God,
who has worked wonders for you;
never again will my people be shamed.
27 Then you will know that I am in Israel,
that I am the LORD your God,
and that there is no other;
never again will my people be shamed.

28 “And afterward,
I will pour out my Spirit on all people.
Your sons and daughters will prophesy,
your old men will dream dreams,
your young men will see visions.
29 Even on my servants, both men and women,
I will pour out my Spirit in those days.

This is a wonderful passage that many believers read and prayed to see. When Jesus in John 14 was telling His students to prepare for His leaving He said that Joel was going to come to pass soon.

15 “If you love me, keep my commands. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.

With and In You!

They knew He was the result of the Holy Spirit's coming to Mary and now we shall be able to be visited by that same Holy Spirit who will be a dwelling place for us and we shall be a dwelling place for the Spirit.

Earlier in John 14 when Jesus said, "In my Father's house are many dwelling places..." the flocus is not on heaven but here and now. The dwelling place is the heart. The Disciples will be able to dwell/live in the Spirit. Not only that but the Holy Spirit with dwell/live in them. The many dwelling places are all the hearts of those who know Jesus.

That is a wonderful promise so grab it and love it.

1 comment:

Jim Wieble said...

Good words Gary. Too often too many of us forget that the power of the Holy Spirit is living - not just visiting occasionally - within us. Thanks for the reminder.