Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Crisis in American Society


Peter Drucker was one of the smartest and the wisest men of the 20Th century. He is the "father" of what is now called, "Management and Organizational Development", the study and leadership of organizational health.

Bob Buford is a very successful businessman and a committed Christian. He writes a monthly newsletter about faith, business, leadership and healthy organizations. He also studied under Mr. Drucker and often adds one or more of his comments to the newsletter.

This month Bob Buford added the following Drucker comments.

I vividly remember a dinner I had during the 1990’s with Peter Drucker. He said, “What we had in the 30’s was a healthy society sitting on a sick economy. What we have now is a sick society sitting on a healthy economy (the 90’s).

My question now: “What do you do when you have a sick society sitting on a sick economy?” Oh, how I miss Peter’s wisdom in these turbulent times.

I also miss Mr. Drucker's wisdom, but I am not so sure I agree with him on one point. I certainly agree that we had a sick society sitting on a healthy economy back in the Nineties. There is no doubt that we Christians need to ramp up our intentional efforts to bring healing and growth to the individuals, families and organizations in which we live and work.

However, did we have a sick economy and a healthy society during the Thirties? I do not think so but we did have a confluence of values that allowed many people to advance economically and socially. Today we do not have that consensus.

Never the less, our greatest need today is not money but spiritual, emotional strengthening. Dr. Robert Fogel, the Nobel Prize Winner, wrote about this in his book The Fourth Great Awakening. Can Christians be as aware of the need as a Jewish Economist like Fogel?

As a Family Therapist I read the current literature about family life, functionality and dysfunction and societal trends. There seems to be an agreement that we are seeing a precipitous stage of regression in healthy family functioning. I agree.

This issue is close to my heart because I have been personally, organizationally and a teacher in healing and growth for many years. Christian leaders who are not concerned about advancing the healing ministry of Jesus but who are concerned about the moral, ethical and relational dysfunctions they see are barking at the moon not really making a difference.

It is a mystery to me why Pastors, Evangelists, Teachers, Missionaries and Peer Helpers are not focusing more on healing the broken hearted and setting the captives free. Do you know why? Write your thoughts on this issue.

No comments: