Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Hippocratic Oath


Did you spot the changes in the oath from its ancient origins? Take a look at these two sentences and see what you think.

I will follow that system of regimen which, according to my ability and judgment, I consider for the benefit of my patients, and abstain from whatever is deleterious and mischievous. I will give no deadly medicine to any one if asked, nor suggest any such counsel; and in like manner I will not give to a woman a pessary to produce abortion.

There are two recent changes to the oath that has stood unchanged, as far as I know for 2000 years. What has happened that is so urgent, important and critical to health care that this covenant of agreement had to be changed?

Two movements by special interests are at the root of the changes.

1. The movement to promote what is called, "assisted suicide". There are some politicians and Doctors who want to kill people instead of heal them. Dr. Jack Kevorkian is the best known for being called "Dr. Death" but he is not alone.

2. The second is the abortion movement. The right to kill one's child as long as it is attached to the mother in any physical manner. It is called "The Womens' Rights Movement" but no woman in the womb has ever been asked permission to take her life.
In fact, there are video tapes of women in the womb trying to escape from the Doctors of Death who are trying to kill them.

Several years ago I wanted to do some simple research on The Hippocratic Oath so I went online to read what was said in Microsoft's encyclopedia. I was shocked to find it had a new, "updated version that did not include the two phrases above that forbids suicide and abortion by Doctors. They said the Oath as written was the original but they lied to deceive the public. I contacted Microsoft and they changed it to the original.

We need to always be vigilant and watch out for any and all changes to the Bible and other ancient texts that have guided our social interactions for decades. Every one of these changes has had a detrimental effect on individuals and society because they devalue the sanctity of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

No comments: