Saturday, September 6, 2014

The Pain of Compulsive Behavior



One of the most psychologically insightful statements in the Bible is found in Hebrews 12:15.

Make sure no one fails to grasp and embrace the grace of God. If they do, a root of bitterness can spring up and cause difficulties for many people. 

If we live by the Law rather than grace it is inevitable for a Root of Bitterness to sprout up. The seed is perfectionism; the root is bitterness and the fruit is anger, rage, destruction and devastation.

I just read a story in this week's version of World Magazine titled Christian Karma. The bottom line on the author's intention is to awaken us to the dangers of "Serving in order to get something in return such as God's forgiveness and blessings".

In my view, it is almost impossible to serve God with pure grace. Grace in its purest form exists only in the heart of God. My heart is fallen and desperately deceitful, always tend to think I deserve God's favor if I tithe, help the poor and humbly work in the church.

If I dwell on those ideas and miss God's grace it will grow quickly into a Root then a stem and branches with fruits of bitterness. Every burned out Pastor I know has a Root of Legalism that drives him to be driven.

What think ye?

See my books on ministry for more on grace.


No comments: