Thursday, October 12, 2017

Why is it Taking Me so Long to Get Better?



The Apostles and Prophets, Pastors, Evangelists, and Teachers that began the new churches after the resurrection of Jesus were just ordinary men and women with an extraordinary God!  They faced personal and interpersonal conflicts that came from and added to the anger and bitterness that dominated the ancient world. In my opinion, St. Paul the Apostle that was so wise and influential, had to deal with his own personal, anger and bitterness. 

In the history of Saul/Paul, we see he was a angry and bitter man. He suffered from a thorn in his flesh that I think was anger and bitterness. He writes in 2 CO 12:

And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me, lest I be exalted above measure. I asked the Lord three times that this thing might depart from me. But He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will boast in my weaknesses, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 So I take pleasure in weaknesses, in reproaches, in hardships, in persecutions, and in distresses for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

In Galatians 5 Paul wrote that the Fruit of the flesh included, hatred, strife, jealousy, rage, dissensions, anger and murders. He knew what he was talking about because he was an angry, hateful, man who murdered people with whom he disagreed. 

Before Saul was converted, he was a bad dude. Now that he was reborn, was all his rage gone? It seems he still struggled with deep issues of his flesh. Like everyone I know and have ever known the Christian life is marked by what can only be called, a need for constant "Pilgrim's Progress". 

We need to assist each other in order to progress. I need you. Do you need me? Paul needed his friends. May God show us how to get better and better at "One Anothering". 

Sweeten Life is dedicated to supporting that task in many nations and we are seeing great progress. 



No comments: