Monday, July 4, 2011

My YWAM Friends in Sudan

As you may know, southern Sudan has been at war for decades. The people are deeply traumatized and their families are in disarray. My friends in Australia, Bruce and Nellie Litchfield, my former students in YWAM, run a dental clinic down under and run a family school in their spare time.

Read these two letters about their upcoming trip there to do a Family Life School. The conditions are unbelievable and yet they will serve Christ by healing families and better yet, Making disciples. Consider sending them some support.

Southern Sudan and Uganda Student and Orphanage Assistance Fund, 2011

We have been invited to speak in seminars in Southern Sudan (Yei - YWAM Family Ministries School, the first in Sudan) and also to run seminars in SE Uganda and at an orphanage which we have been supporting for many years.

We will be away for some 18 days commencing 21 July.

Our neighbour and my dental office manager, Chris Morressey, will be coming with us.

Some 30 students are doing the six month family ministry training program in Yei. These people are extremely poor and can barely pay their $20 enrolment fee let alone the $400 total fee.

They need help.

Also there are some 40 students doing the UIFC counselling training program in Uganda, based on our AIFC program, and they likewise have great difficulty paying their fees.

Needless to say the orphanage is in constant need of funds to expand and continue.

We need at least $15,000 to bless these people.

Nellie and I will be giving substantially to the fund.

I should mention that all costs associated with this short-term mission, as well as other YWAM missions which we are involved in, are paid for from our own income and especially from the dental practice - not from AIFC.

What can you do to help these very poor people?

Southern Sudan is ever poor than Uganda having recently come out a long civil war. (See report below).

If you can help please send us a cheque made out to NB and PJ Litchfield on behalf of the Family Resource Centre YWAM Canberra well before we leave so we can convert it into US dollars. Every cent will go to the poor in Africa as mentioned above.

You will be greatly blessed as you support the poor and needy.

Blessings to you all,

Bruce

Rod Baines from AIFC Perth has just been to Southern Sudan are sent this very interesting report a few days ago.

“I have been invited to YEI Sudan to teach on a YWAM school and other ministries opportunities.

I am in a 19 seat propeller plane about to land with its 6 occupants

Customs clearance is in a tin shed where I contribute my photo and US$65 (visa) to a tall very dark man official.

The YWAM Utility is my transport.

Augustine drives; who I later find out is the base leader.

Our trip is slow due to the potholed gravel road, and as the vehicles universal joints are shot.

No funds to fix, so they just travel slowly.

The continual villages we pass are very poor, with few good gardens.

Small stalls sell paraffin (for lamps) petrol (for vehicles) and cooking oil all in small used plastic bottles – sure hope they don’t get the contents mixed up.

Many sell home produced alcohol, big problem here.

This Nation for 20 years up to 2005 was at war with the North. The South was fed by food dropped out of UN planes, then people scrambled to find and back into the forest.

They did not garden – too dangerous. A generation of gardeners/farmers have been lost! See no cows and only a few goats.

All manufactured goods come from Uganda (these were previously manufactured in Northern Sudan).

Found out later that any meat (beef & chicken are also from Uganda)

All items due to transport/taxes etc. are 2 to 3 times more expensive than in Uganda.

YEI is located 47 miles from the Ugandan border and 28 miles from the Congo border.

Reckon if I get in trouble the 28 mile walk sounds doable.

They are beginning to learn to garden again with maize (for posha) ground nuts and cassava.

Many are traumatized by 2 decades of war, evidenced by fighting especially amongst the boys.

The YWAM base, built by a generous benefactor in the Netherlands, has few buildings, but a community School and bore.

I estimate the bore provides at least 3,500 litres of good water to the nearby villages.

To evangelize they want something in return, have become accustomed to receive from the UN.

I alight from the vehicle and go to get my case – no, it is to be carried by the “hospitality lady”, who also balances a 20 litre yellow jerry can on her head for the 800 metre walk.

I am humbled.

Over my time I help with the water carrying, which replaced my home gym workouts.

My lodgings are sparse, single bed with mosquito net.

No electricity, no running water, outside a “long drop” and a western toilet, with ants, blowflies, bees, hornets and moths.

I laugh at a sign in the toilet block:

“If you make a mistake – fix it. It shows your level of maturity”

Lights out as the sun goes down at 7.30pm, lights on as the sun comes up at 6.00am

Meet my class, such lovely people:

Jarrod an American married to an Egyptian wife – small child.

Sudanese: John, Joseph 1 and Joseph 2.

Sudanese: Sorobo with wife Betty with the last of 6 children on the breast.

Alcoholic Arabic Muslim: Samuel, former soldier.

Sudanese : Kissam

Congolese: Martin – Missionary to Dalphur (Northern Sudan, where the present Genocide is taking place)

Sudanese: Base Leader Augustine with wife Miriam with 7 children, the last on the breast.

Augustine tells me of an unreached people group 100 kms away that they are evangelizing – the men are naked and the women wear covering on the “bottom half” only – they are communicating through a neighboring clan, as they cannot speak the unreached people group language. Progress is slow, but he is very optimistic. This is the real Church!!!!

Ugandan: Innocence & Alice with 2 small children.

Ugandan : George & Ann, barren no children married for 12 years.

England: Quiet girl of 19 years Susannah.

Sudanese: The Dean of the Anglican Cathedral- Uriah

Sudanese : Henry a Pentecostal Pastor with an Aid NGO

That’s it a mixed bunch with Fred/Josephine, Emily, Kennedy, Jane Brenda as Staff.

When I speak there are 2 other voices going on as Sorobo translates into Arabic for Samuel and George transfers into a Ugandan Dialect for Ann.

All this happens at the same time, I just speak normally without break and they do the rest.

Our meals are Posha (Ground Maize Flour) & beans with periodically 2 pieces 1 to 2 inch square of beef.

They also cook rice for me, when they see me struggle with the posha.

Speak every day in the School for 4 hours. Much of it, is discipleship as non existent. These dear souls need the basics, and they are so hungry to receive. It is such a privilege to be involved by the Father in this way.

We have an incredible time as God’s children!

We are so spoilt with so many tapes and books in our land.

They have other meetings, in the community and city for me during the day.

I often feel tired, but invigorated by the activities.

My quiet times I sense the presence of God – He is with me.

As I speak I get continual revelation from the Father.

I feel “warm and free” in my soul.

Visit an Orphanage opened and still run by an American Lady, with 1 leg and only 1 hip from birth.

She loves God and 108 orphaned street kids.

I feel so rich and humbled at the same time.

I experience again God’s heart for the poor and orphaned.

I cry inside as I consider my riches.

Southern Sudan becomes a Republic early in July 2011: there is celebration and fear:

Fear that the Northern Muslims will attack again soon.

Fear that the West will let it happen.

Joy that Southern Sudan (Christian) could be a new Israel.

I visit the city of Yei, with its one level tin sheds.

Dust everywhere, until we have a huge storm – the streets become a muddy avalanche of water & rubbish a meter high going past.

There are some very tall, very dark men here, up to 7 feet tall and with the women nearly as tall.

They are seen as special and command a very high “bride price”

Many Christians are still polygamists and drink freely.

Much drink appears to anesthetize the trauma

Its time to go, they verbally express their gratitude.

Emotions by us all are raw.

The base leader applauds my courage and lack of fear for coming.

Others refuse to come due to conditions and political instability.

I am amazed as for me, it is another day in the life of a “rescued child of God”.

Bought 2 Ugandan chickens/chooks at the market, costs me US $20.

We are celebrating before I fly out the next day – “Chicken & Chapattis”

Start for the Airport by pushing the utility (with others) for 800 meters to get it started (goes with the territory)

See a Norwegian Land cruiser with a team for clearing land mines.

Father thank you that “you order my steps”.

Feel I have tasted a bit of heaven on earth with God’s chosen people.

I am overwhelmed by the love of these people and my Father.

I am sure I will return!

Rod Baines”

Dr Bruce Litchfield

President and Chief Executive Officer,

Australian Institute of Family Counselling Ltd.

RTO Provider: 88037

CRICOS Provider: 02400A

AIFC National Office

PO box 210, Gungahlin, ACT 2912

Tel: 02 62425111, 1300 721 397

Email: AIFC.CEO@aifc.com.au

Website: www.aifc.com.au

Also:

Director, Family Resource Centre Canberra (YWAM)

Director, Litchfield Family Services Pty Ltd.

PO Box 586, Gungahlin, ACT, 2912, Australia

Tel: +61 2 6242 9928, Mob: 0407 268 187

Fax: +61 2 6242 9935

Email: blitchfield@bigpond.com

Web: www.frccywam.com

www.litchfieldfamilyservices.com.au

No comments: