Thursday, March 20, 2014

Why Russian Ministry?


Small Group Worship

I am sometimes asked why we are so committed to our work in Russia? Perhaps the actions of Putin and the Russian aggression of the past few weeks will partially answer those questions, but here are more answers.

1. God told us to go to the USSR and start a ministry. In 1987 I visited Leningrad on a study leave. It was oppressive spiritually, emotionally and physically. The tour I was on went to the 'Best Places" with the "Best food and drinks" but they could not hide the depression, and spiritual darkness. The Wall came down soon after that.

2. About the same time we were doing ministry in Norway when two of our team members had words from the Lord about ministry in Russia. I was not convinced. Later that year I attended a conference on Christian Psychology and heard a Russian Psychologist speak. I told her about our dream to teach in Russia and she said, "You must come to Russia".

3. On my next visit to Norway a businessman there with a company doing business in Moscow offered to fly me to visit the Psychologist. I went over and spoke with my new friend and we decided to return the next year and teach. I also met a Medical Doctor who wanted to come to the USA and study. I invited her to come to learn Life Way, from our in-patient hospital.

4. Over 20 years ago we asked the Doctor to visit and learn Christian Psychiatry. She came for several months and went back to start a branch of our ministry. Since then, they have overcome many barriers and trials but have set up Christ centered training centers all over the former USSR. We have a great work in Ukraine. We bring peace and Christian love to the Russian people.

5. Will you help support that key work in Russia? Our friend, the Medical Doctor needs to come here in May if she can raise the money and get permission during such a hard time in US Russian politics. Pray for Russia and for her finances. Send donations to us through Sweeten Life web.

No comments: