Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Russian and American Ministry to the Hopeless



Several years ago I was teaching in Russia when I met a woman who worked for the Voice of the USSR or The Russian Radio Network. I had never heard of it but assumed it was like our VOA. (I currently live in Mason, Ohio just down the road from the huge network that sent patriotic American messages around the world during the Cold War. One of VOA's radio transmitter facilities was originally based on a 625-acre (2.53 km2) site in West Chester Township) near Cincinnati)

The lady in Russia heard me preach one Sunday and we chatted after the service. Unlike most Russians she spoke perfect English and was well educated in world affairs. She worked at the Russian Radio Station and invited me to be interviewed by a famous Russian broadcaster the next week.I eagerly agreed.

She picked me up in a Taxi from my hotel and we drove to the Voice Of Russia together. During the taxi ride she briefed me on what was Politically Correct to discuss on the air. I could not witness to Christ or openly state that I was there as a Missionary.We agreed that I needed to discuss the role of helping people get off drugs and alcohol.

I was invited into the studio and met the famous reporter. He smelled like a stale old saloon! He was drunk! His name was Yevgeny or Eugene in English.Despite the boozed up condition, Yevgeny carried on a spirited conversation with me for about 30 minutes.

Yevgeny was fascinated with why I would use my own money and time to fly to Moscow. Why was I willing to give my time and professional expertise to bring freedom, sobriety and health to strangers? He had talked with many Americans but this was a first for him. How could I explain my trip without sharing the gospel? At a church gathering I could easily explain it. God called me. But to a drunk pagan?

I told Yevgeny that I was a Counselor back in the USA. I related that I knew about the devastating effects of alcohol and drugs in America but read it was even worse in the former USSR. Yevgeny know nothing about addictions or treatment. In fact, he did not know it was possible to get sober because there was no active self help or mutual help groups like AA or NA. He had never been to church and even if he had it was forbidden for the church to help addicts in the USSR.

So here I was in Moscow, Russia sharing the good news of healing from addictions and death to an alcoholic atheist who had never heard that there was hope for him to change. My message was being transmitted all over the known world to millions of people. Listeners in the broad expanse of Russia's 9 Time Zones, to Mongolia, China, India, England, and the USA!

I get to share this story at a Gala Fund Raiser on September 29 for Serenity House. This is a house of healing located in Price Hill that does a great job of supporting men who want to regain sobriety from drugs and alcohol. Go to their web if you want to find help for yourself or a loved one that is addicted.

If you want to learn more about helping a loved one stuck in drinking or drugs, take a look at one of our books on helping others as a lay friend. Hope and Change for Humpty Dumpty is a great place to begin.

No comments: