Thursday, December 29, 2011

Great Time With Grand Kids

I am wondering how many of my friends have been with grand kids during the holiday. Having grand kids is a joy. Karen and I are so much more relaxed now than when we had our own kids. I was so uptight about producing perfect kids that I tried to force my ideas on them rather than trusting God for them.

Since then I have learned the truth of the Bible verse that says, "If you seek to save your life you will lose it". Trying to live my life through my kids or my job always ends in disappointment for me and them. Now, I can let those grand kids be themselves without getting uptight because they are rambunctious or loud or fighting.

How about you? Can you chill out and enjoy the grand kids?

3 comments:

littlemiamijeff said...

Gary, Kathy and I spent 5 hours w/the gkids to give their mom a break, 12/26, and it was fun and sometimes tough, but they are wonderful young little people with different personalities and likes and dislikes, and it's awesome to be their GrandPa.
We had some time with them Christmas day but not to ourselves.
Their mom is a single mother, and works, just completed a 2 yr. degree, and most recently 10 days in the hospital, (she came home Christmas Eve/eve.)
It's been tough on the whole family, but we pray for and with them, and trust The Lord will bring good from it all.
God Bless and a Happy Prosperous New Year!
Jeff

Gary Sweeten said...

There is no question that single moms and parents with a special needs child are in great need for just what you two did. I bet it also blessed those children. You could not have given them a better Christmas gift.

My Grandmother Taylor was very important to me and i want to be important to my grand kids.

Anonymous said...

Gary, I made a choice to retire from P&G when my grandkids were 5 & 1 yr of age, figuring out that the next 10-12 years of their lives would be the ones that my wife and I could enjoy the most. Turned out to be very true. Now they are 17 & 14, and we still enjoy being with them as young adults. Wouldn't have traded a second of the time we spent and the things we have done together. For us it became our way of loving them.