Tuesday, June 4, 2013

The Essentials of a Mature Christian #15.





 I read a story on The Drudge Report past week about a fight that started over someone stumbling and spilling juice on another person. The scene occurred at the graduation ceremony of  a Kindergarten class. One mother was there to see her child graduate and spilled her drink on a relative of another child.  All I could think about was how reactive we are getting as Americans. When a fist fight with knives are brought out over spilled juice we have regressed to a sad state.

Are we Christians any different from the world on our reactivity? Gossip, backbiting, angry attacks over minor issues and fights over theological differences abound. I read last month that many members of a denomination were angry because a Pastor invited the people from Duck Dynasty to speak at their church.

Stop and think for a moment about the things you think are essential statements for being a mature Christian who can lead/teach others?

What stage do these ideas need to blossom in the Christian's life in the Spirit?

Take a look at the Fruit of the Spirit Chart and take three or four of the listed Fruit. Then ask yourself who you know that ranks the highest on the scales from Zero to Ten. For example, you might choose Patience and think of someone you know who has above average, a 7 or 8 in Patience with people and events.

If you really get into it think of several people who have a ranking of 7 or 8 on this scale.

It is not a scientific test but an exercise designed to get you thinking about growth in Christ. No one will have a Perfect 10 because we are all in process and need to grow in grace, mercy and spiritual fruit.

I have known many people who were advanced in biblical knowledge. In fact, I was King of the Sword Drills as a kid because I knew the Bible from Genesis to Maps and had memorized the travels of St. Paul. However, I was an emotional mess. I was easily angered and loved to attack other verbally.  My dad confronted me one time because of my angry attacks and told me to calm down. I replied:

"I am just calling a spade a spade."

Dad said, "No you are not calling a spade a spade. You are calling everything a dam shovel!"

I was actually proud of my immaturity. I loved Bible Passage Ping Pong where I could attack and ridicule others with whom I disagreed.  I loved a good argument. But I was a verbal bully.

As I grew in Christ and read the Bible I was convicted that my approach was sinful. I became a school teacher and Counselor and read the research about how words can maim and wound., And, I saw that the Bible correlated maturity with verbal and non verbal interactions. Since then I wrote a Doctoral dissertation on the importance of great relationships and see how love can heal. Yes, Psychology led me to discover that the Bible's view of relationships is accurate.

Our web, videos and bookstore can assist you in developing the Fruit of the Spirit in your life and the life of your family and students. See what you think. Hope and Change for Humpty Dumpty is very good and the missions' book, Climb Another Mountain by Donna Thomas will teach you how to reach the world with love.


No comments: