Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Mentor, Coach, Encourager, Discipler


Who has been an important mentor/coach/discipler to you? My most important Christian coach and I met at age 30 or so and he taught me how to study the Bible and interpret it according to the time and context it was written and how an ordinary person would understand it.

Then he coached me during times of stressful ministry and stressful parenting, partnering and life in general. He helped me learn how to live as a Christian as a minority. Most people are not Christians.

Who mentored/coached/discipled you?

1 comment:

Jim Weible said...

When I look back at my life, God has given me some incredible coaches and mentors. As a child and young adult, there were adults who poured grace and truth into my life through the local church and para-church organizations. There were teachers and coaches at school. And there was a family friend who, in addition to my dad, modeled what a man of God could be in this life.
As a young man, I had artistic coaches who impacted me deeply. Soon, I was blessed with mentors and coaches at CHPC - including and most especially you, Gary. These people continued to teach, admonish, and pour the love and grace of God into me.
I continue to have opportunities not only to be coached and mentored, but to be a coach and mentor to others. The process is much like parenting. I have been given some treasure through my coaches and mentors - now it is my turn to give it to others.
I really do thank God on a daily basis for the many individuals who have made contributions to who I have become today.
Thanks for your significance