Tuesday, May 10, 2011

How Do We Grow in Christ?


I received a call recently from an old friend who has an international ministry of healing, growth and training leaders to do the same. He and I grew up in southern Illinois but did not meet until we were both in ministry.

Randy's gifts are often released in dramatic, instantaneous and miraculous ways in big crowds.My gifts are usually released over time through one on one or small groups and they emerge slowly. I rarely draw large crowds or do very dramatic things. I do not covet his gifts nor does he covet mine. I appreciate how God has gifted him and he appreciates my gifting. It is a I Corinthian model and one that needs to be emulated in other places.

He called me to ask if I would write a book about Equipping Christians to to do ministry. The book would be used as a part of the curriculum for a Masters in Divinity at a seminary in Ohio. I agreed to make a first cut at writing such a manuscript because I think it is badly needed in American and international churches. Most seminaries do little if anything to train Pastors why and how to "Go into the world and make disciples and teach them HOW to do the works of Jesus.

I read a book on the topic of Christian growth. The jargon for growth and healing in theological circles is "Sanctification". One of the authors warned strongly against even talking about sanctification. By discussing it we can steal people's minds from resting totally on grace and faith. I was shocked, stunned and aghast. How can Christian leaders possibly do what Jesus said if we refuse to discuss it at all?

How can we "Go make disciples teaching them to do..." if we have never been taught how to discuss, go, do or teach?

How can we "Equip the saints to DO works of ministry..." if we refuse to discuss how it is done?

This was only one of five writers but the other four did not much better. All they suggested was study and know the theology better?

I was as school teacher and coach for several years. Can you imagine reading a book on growing in math that said it was dangerous to even discuss how math is best learned? Can you imagine how successful a team would be if the coach refused to think or talk about basketball? Yet this is the advice of a famous "scholar" from a large, mainline denomination.

No wonder mainline churches are dying and mega churches that treat their people as learning adults who can learn are taking their members away from them. I spoke with a Seasoned Believer today that is visiting many different churches to find one he likes. His current Minister misses the mark in his sermons and lacks any ability to meet the people where they are.

Oh Lord, help us do what you commanded. Open our eyes to ways we can follow you and do your work on earth.

No comments: