Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Styles of Biblical Leadership 1.



I read a lot of books and articles on topics like this. As a consultant/coach to Pastors and Churches I want to better understand what is happening.

Let me begin by focusing on ways to influence others to change because all successful leaders are actually change agents. To lead implies he/she wants to motivate others to GO somewhere else and DO something else. That is change.

As the old adage says,  "If no one is following you are not leading".

There are essentially three ways to motivate others to change. API-W

Authority: I can say "Yes" and "No" and others will obey

Power: I move people with Rewards and/or Punishments

Influence: I am with people who pick up my ideas and goals and move with them

Wisdom: I know when to apply each at the right time and right way because each can be important at different times.

Which do you tend to use most?

Are you consistently WISE in choosing the best way to motivate others? Or, are you stuck on one way of doing things?

As that great hymn of leadership says:

You gotta know when to hold em,
Know when to fold em!
Know when to walk away and know when to run!

Can you play the game?

Gary Sweeten

No comments: