Thursday, October 7, 2010

A Great Testimony


Over the past 40 years of ministry I have heard thousands of testimonies from preachers and writers. However, there is something much more powerful when that testimony comes from a person or family that gives the praise to god but the tanks to one of our ministries.

Such affirmation and thanksgiving is rare in the white conservative Christian community. The African American community is much better at offering thanks and at honoring their Christian leaders than my own tradition. I am not sure why but it may be a fear giving the people a "Big Head". I was once accused by a famous Bishop of "Making my people proud and causing them to sin" because I urged them to "Grow in grace and truth".

Have you ever tried to thank a Minister or Lay Leader and get this response? , "Oh, I did nothing at all. It was all God".This is a double bind for Christians because we are encouraged to give, serve, lead and witness, all of which bring a sense of well being and God's pleasure. Yet, if we enjoy God's pleasure too much we are warned that "Pride goes before a fall so refuse to accept any praise". That is as easy to do as standing on my head and stacking bee bee's. It cannot be done in this life.

So here is my counsel. Thank people for their ministry. Bless them and love them even if they act like they hate it. We really love that sort of thing and need it as well even if we are embarrassed and uncomfortable by hearing it.

No comments: